Position: Assistant General Counsel
Supervisor: Chief Administrative Officer/General Counsel
Location: Corporate office in Colorado Springs
Compensation & Benefits: $80,000-$140,000, depending on experience, skills, and qualifications
Mortgage Solutions of Colorado, LLC d/b/a Mortgage Solutions Financial (“MSF”) offers a comprehensive benefit package and PTO (paid time off) for eligible employees. The benefit package includes Health, Dental and Vision Insurance, options to participate in a Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Account, Health Reimbursement Arrangement, Life and AD&D coverage, voluntary Short-Term, Long-Term Disability and Supplemental insurance. In addition, eligible employees have the option to participate in a company retirement plan.
Headquartered in Colorado Springs, Colorado, MSF is a national mortgage lender with nearly 60 branches operating in over 45 states with approximately 440 employees. It consistently ranks among the top five independent mortgage lenders in the United States for VA loan production. MSF is in the process of acquiring a state banking charter; the merger is subject to approval by applicable regulators. MSF is actively seeking talented and experienced real estate, mortgage, and banking professionals to fill its legal team needs.
This position will provide support to Mortgage Solutions Financial’s (“MSF”) Chief Administrative Officer and General Counsel as directed. The Assistant General Counsel will be responsible for assisting in a broad general practice including litigated, transactional, and regulatory matters relevant to financial institutions which offer mortgage lending and banking services.
General legal advice
- Identifies and analyzes legal issues relevant to lines of business, human resources, intellectual property, mortgage lending operations, regulatory and compliance matters, litigation management, policies, and general contracts
- Supports and directs outside legal counsel on discovery, motions practice, and settlement negotiations
- Provides legal research memoranda on matters affecting litigation
- Summarizes litigated matters and suggests risk management practices for consideration by management
- Identifies responsive documents and prepares responses to subpoenas for loan files and communications, or other subpoenas for company records and information
- Drafts responses to and addresses concerns of escalated customers
- Drafts and reviews contracts and agreements pertaining to MSF’s business activities
- Negotiates and drafts commercial lease agreements and related notices
Regulatory and compliance
- Monitors federal and state laws and regulations affecting mortgage lenders and financial institutions
- Assists in the company’s compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws
- Drafts and reviews responses to audits
- Assists paralegal and legal assistant with use of matter and document management software program
- Supports Chief Administrative Officer and General Counsel as directed with other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Experience
Skills & Abilities
- Exceptional verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to present complex concepts at the management and/or executive level
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail, but ability to use commonsense to resolve complex issues
- Ability to prioritize competing demands and effectively manage multiple tasks and/or projects.
- Demonstrated integrity and ethical standards, and strong ability to accurately assess risk
- Must be able to pass background check and drug test
- Stationary position; prolonged periods at a desk and working on the computer.
- Occasional movement about inside the office to walk to offices and office machinery.
- Occasional lifting up to 10 pounds, must be able to push, pull, pull up, bend at the knees and waist, twist body at the waist, raise and hold arms overhead, turn head-neck-shoulders as needed, grasp and hold tools and other items with hands, for either extended periods of time or many times throughout the workday.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and law school transcripts to HR@mortgagesolutions.net
MSF is an equal opportunity employer. All candidates for employment are considered equally and no distinction is made on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, genetic information, or veteran status. MSF is also committed to providing qualified applicants and employees reasonable accommodation, when necessary, to enable the individuals to complete the application process and/or perform the essential functions of the job. An applicant and/or employee requiring reasonable accommodation to perform any essential job function, should contact Human Resources.