Application period opens for Judicial Nominating Commission positions
Governor, Attorney General and Chief Justice to appoint commission members
DENVER – Applications are now being accepted for upcoming, and current vacancies on 11 Judicial Nominating Commissions throughout Colorado.
As of Dec. 31, 2022, there will be 14 upcoming Judicial Nominating Commission vacancies as detailed below. Also listed are five current Judicial Nominating Commission vacancies on three nominating commissions. Judicial nominating commissioners are volunteers and serve six-year terms interviewing applicants for judicial vacancies and nominating candidates to the governor.
Each judicial district nominating commission consists of seven citizens residing in that judicial district. No more than four members can be from the same political party, and there must be at least one voting member from each county in the district. Commission members serve six-year terms. Non-lawyers, who are the majority of every nominating commission, are appointed by the Governor. Lawyer members are appointed by joint action of the Governor, Attorney General, and Chief Justice
More information on nominating commissions may be found on the Judicial Branch Web site at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/Supreme_Court/Nominating.cfm.
- First Judicial District (Gilpin and Jefferson counties) – one upcoming non-attorney vacancy.
- Second Judicial District (Denver County) – one upcoming non-attorney vacancy.
- Third Judicial District (Huerfano and Las Animas counties) – two upcoming non-attorney vacancies.
- Fourth Judicial District (El Paso and Teller counties) – one current non-attorney vacancy.
- Fifth Judicial District (Clear Creek, Eagle, Lake, and Summit counties) – one current non-attorney vacancy.
- Tenth Judicial District (Pueblo County) – one current non-attorney vacancy, and two upcoming attorney vacancies.
- Eleventh Judicial District (Chaffee, Custer, Fremont, and Park counties) – one upcoming non-attorney vacancy.
- Fourteenth Judicial District (Grand, Moffat and Routt counties) – one upcoming non-attorney vacancy, and one upcoming attorney vacancy.
- Eighteenth Judicial District (Arapahoe, Douglas, Elbert, and Lincoln counties) – two upcoming non-attorney vacancies.
- Twenty-Second Judicial District (Dolores and Montezuma counties) – one upcoming attorney vacancy.
- Supreme Court (statewide) – One current non-attorney vacancy for the 2nd Congressional District and one current attorney for the 5th Congressional District, as well one upcoming non-attorney vacancy in the 1st Congressional District and one upcoming attorney vacancy in the 7th Congressional District.
Applications are due no later than 4 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 18, 2022. Applications may be made only online at the State of Colorado Boards and Commissions Application page. Applicants should include a current resume or biography where indicated on the application.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for more information.